Union Theological Seminary Admissions


International Applicants


Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are welcome to apply for Union’s programs.  International applicants to the First Degree or Advanced Degree program should hold an American bachelor's degree or the M.Div. (or their equivalents, amounting to six or seven years of post-secondary academic study). Applicants should have received basic competence in their fields with excellent academic records (A or B+ and First or Upper Second Class degrees).

How to Apply

Applicants from foreign countries should follow the General Procedures for Application as well as adhere to the following additional requirements.

Official Documents: Union requires original official documents in the original language. All official documents not in English must be accompanied by a notarized/certified translation.  All other materials must be submitted in English.

If the schools attended no longer exist, or if it is impossible to obtain official transcripts from them, applicants should ask the Ministry of Education of the appropriate country to furnish an official statement testifying to the impossibility of obtaining records. Applicants must also ask the Ministry to supply Union with a list of the courses ordinarily required by that school or university.

TOEFL Scores: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all applicants whose native language is not English and when their baccalaureate is not from an institution where English is the language of instruction.  Union requires a minimum score of 600 on the paper-based TOEFL test (250 on the computerized exam). Please note: TOEFL Score Reports are valid for two years and scores will be considered expired if the test was taken more than two years prior to the application deadline. Photocopies of TOEFL Score Reports will not be considered valid.

GRE Scores: The GRE is normally required of all applicants to the Ph.D. program.  However, students applying for Ph.D. admission from countries other than the U.S. or Canada will be exempt from this requirement if it would be necessary for them to travel a great distance to take the test.

International Applicant’s Financial Statement: Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are required to submit a financial statement at the time of application for admission.  The form is necessary to establish the student’s ability to meet his or her educational and living expenses for the duration of the intended graduate program before assisting the student in obtaining a visa to enter the United States.

Student Visas

Once an international applicant has been admitted, the admitted student will receive detailed instructions regarding the visa application process.  Admitted international students requesting J-1 or F-1 visas are required to enroll full-time.

Apply Now

©Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

3041 Broadway at 121st Street, New York, NY 10027 | Tel: (212) 662-7100